Air conditioners are among the most typical electrical appliances in every home. Almost 75% of homes have an air conditioner installed of one type or another. As per the studies, 6 to 8 % of the total electricity bill is comparted from the air conditioner unit. Choosing the proper and best type of AC for home or office is essential in these costlier times. The present article is all about 8 common types of AC which will help you guide to choose the best type of AC for home and office.
Essential things to look for while choosing the best types of AC–
Here is a breakdown of 4 critical factors to consider when selecting the best types of AC for your home, described below:
- Energy Consumption
- Space Requirements & Maintenance
- Cooling Power
8 common types of AC-
The air conditioning system is an integral part of any home & takes up a significant chunk out of your most essential home appliances budget. Making the perfect choice is very crucial for your home’s cooling, comfort & energy consumption are directly dependent on your best types of AC. There are different 8 common types of AC, each having its pros & cons.
Each type of air conditioner unit is designed for a particular space & fulfills a specific purpose. The different AC types are as follows:
Central Air Conditioner system
A central air conditioning system utilizes a split system that regulates air through ducts installed in the home. It is also known as a duct system or ducted system of AC.
The split system of the AC implies that the system is a combination of two central units. The outdoor unit consists of the condenser and compressor. The indoor unit of AC comprises the evaporator coils & air handler.
- It cools and comforts all the rooms connected to ducts at once
- Creates a more relaxed & regulated environment around the house in significantly less time.
- It makes the room environment less humid around and avails the overall environment more comfortable.
- The best type of AC for office premises.
- It consumes a lot of energy
- Results in higher energy bills.
- The unit loses efficiency and effectiveness when a duct system is damaged.
The ductless mini-split air conditioners are an excellent choice for contemporary homes. It is the second most common types of AC.
Such an air conditioner is a combination of an outdoor unit comprising a compressor & a condenser unit that comes with an additional one or more indoor units. The indoor units are mounted on a wall and equipped with air blowers. The indoor & outdoor units are connected through the tubing, and refrigerant circulates through them in variation depending on the type of usage.
- It can be installed anywhere without a lot of hassle and ductwork.
- Can control the temperature individually.
- The best type of AC for home.
- A single unit is not enough for cooling large areas
- As the indoor unit of a ductless mini-split is wall-mounted, it can look odd with the house’s interior.
Window air conditioner system
Since the window air conditioner unit comes in various sizes, they would be suitable if you’re looking to cool a single room or a small area.
A window air conditioner is a single unit component with all of its features enclosed inside. Such air conditioners have an additional filter that slides out to be cleaned regularly for total AC efficiency.
- less costly and cheaper to operate
- Simple to install
- Easy to maintain
- Do not take up your floor space
- Can be noisy during operation
- Are visible from outside the home.
- They obscure the view from a window
- Not suitable for casement or irregularly unique shaped windows
Portable Air Conditioner system
Portable air conditioner systems are similar to window air conditioners. They can also be placed in a single unit with all its components inside, but the difference is that it is a free-standing unit and can therefore be moved from room to room. It requires a power outlet to power it up & access to a window where the unit’s air can be exhausted from using its funnel.
They are convenient, and smaller versions can even be used for kennels or bathrooms.
- Quick and simple to set up
- It can be easily moved around the house
- They do not require any permanent installation
- A practical option for spot cooling
- Easy to store when not needed
- Such units are noisy during operation
- Cooling larger rooms are though
- Obstructs the lower part of your window
Floor Mounted Air Conditioner
Floor-mounted air conditioners are designed for convenience if you prefer a mini-split but lack the required space for a wall-mounted unit. The indoor unit of floor-mounted AC rests on the floor, and the outer unit can be installed without significant site preparation or any ductwork. The arrangement is also ideal for spaces with tilted walls such as attics or buildings constructed by fragile materials such as glass.
• Perfect for older adults living in the house due to accessibility
• Can be installed easily
• An excellent choice for rugged and small areas as they do not take much space.
• Airflow can be compromised due to the obstacles like furniture
• Not suitable for big rooms
Smart Air Conditioner system
Intelligent air conditioner systems are mini-split, window, or portable air conditioners with added IoT-enabled. These ACs are connected to Wi-Fi.
Depending on the manufacturer, these air conditioner units have numerous functionalities that include weekly scheduling, geofencing, comfy mode, temperature range control, and countless other features. Utilizing these, you can achieve great comfort amalgamated with energy savings.
- Provide comfort & convenience with numerous features
- Help to save energy
- The best type of AC for office.
- More cost-effective than regular units.
- Wi-Fi connectivity is necessary.
Geothermal Air Conditioning System
Geothermal air conditioning system comes with the highest technology of cooling and heating by the new method, and it works by utilizing the insulating properties of the earth.
The system requires piping that consists of a loop that circulates water between the home, a heat pump & the ground. The system also requires intensive work to set up underground.
- Highly efficient in terms of energy usage
- It has relatively a longer lifespan
- Installation of the unit depends on the location as loops are installed in the ground
- Costly setup of the unit
Also read – Best Air Purifier For Dorm Room in 2021
Hybrid / Dual Fuel Air Conditioner
A hybrid system combines a gas furnace with an electric air-source heat pump to deliver cost-effective & efficient cooling and heating. Depending on the outdoor temperature, the system automatically switches between burning fossil fuels and electricity usage.
- Maximizes indoor comfort
- minimize the cost of utility bills
- Lower your carbon footprint
- The high cost of initial setup
- Breakeven may occur in the long run
Read the above article on 8 common types of AC and choose your AC as per the requirement and budget wisely.